A written guide to the most important aspects of Git version control. This is based on a 2-day classroom course.
I originally wrote this guide as a 90 page PDF to accompany the in-person Git Fundamentals & Workflows class I teach. It should stand on its own as a reference.
This guide also contains material used in some of the many videos covering Git I have on CraftQuest.
In this guide we will cover the following topics:
- Overview Of Git — We’ll cover what it is and its history.
- Fundamentals of Git — The information you need to get started with using Git, including the different pieces of Git.
- Git vs. Subversion — What’s the difference between Git and Subversion?
- Git Workflow Tools — Commands that help you get stuff done with Git.
- Git Workflows — We’ll review three different workflows in Git, from simple to more complex.
- Fixing Problems in Git — What happens when things go wrong? How do you revert commits or find when and where the project broke?
- Git: Under the Hood — Let’s dive a bit deeper and look at the “plumbing” command that makes Git work.
- Moving from SVN to Git — A short primer on what’s available natively to move from Git to SVN.
Thank you for learning with CraftQuest!